Today is a very exciting day- Paige and I are launching a new series, and it’s all about learning from talented makers! We wanted to dream up something that would expand our skill set, teach our readers something new, and celebrate all of the incredible people creating in our city and beyond.
We call it the #PastelCraftClub, and it knows no limits!
from now on you can expect a new tutorial, recipe, or how-to on both of our blogs every two weeks, and we’ll be covering everything from an artisan jam recipe, floral DIY’s and a wall tapestry tutorial, to knitting projects, simple building and design projects, and more. The possibilities are seriously endless, and after a quick brainstorm of people and projects to cover, only one question was left: where do we start?
In the end, the answer was obvious- healthy, crazy delicious, and not to mention beautifully crafted, our friend Liz’s Unbaked Cake Co. treats are truly phenomenal, and we have been dying to learn how to make them! Liz already posted a beautiful pink Raw Vegan White Chocolate Raspberry Rose Tart recipe on Random Acts of Pastel awhile back, so this time around we went for a purple favourite from Liz’s Lineup: Blueberry Lavender Mini Tarts!
To make things easier for us unbaking rookies, Liz wrote the recipe for a “cheesecake”, which is much more easy to put together and doesn’t require piping. She also included instructions for the mini tarts shown here in case you’re a piping expert! Perfectly floral, sweet, and healthy enough to eat for breakfast, this nutrient dense recipe is maybe one of our favourite things ever.
Blueberry Lavender Cheesecake
2 cups raw almonds
6 medjool dates
2 tbsp agave
1 tbsp water
1/4 tsp sea salt
3 cups raw cashews
1 cup blueberries
1 cup coconut oil
1 cup agave
1 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup water
2 tsp dried lavender
Yield: 1 x 9″ cheesecake
1. Crust: process almonds in a food processor until finely ground. Add dates and salt and process until incorporated. Slowly pour in agave and water and pulse until mixture comes together.
2. Press crust into a 9 inch spring form pan and set aside.
3. Filling: process all ingredients in a food processor or Vitamix blender until smooth and creamy.
4. Pour filling into spring form pan.
5. Let cheesecake set in the freezer overnight.
6. Garnish with fresh fruit, chopped nuts, dried lavender, leftover crust, and/or whatever else you may have on hand. Slice and enjoy.
To make mini tarts: press and form crust into mini silicon muffin moulds (will need 3 x the crust recipe) and then fill with blueberry lavender filling. Filling can be spooned into the crust or it can be piped. To pipe, filling must set in the fridge overnight so that it firms up. Garnish each tart with a blueberry. Recipe yields aprox. 50-60 mini tarts.